I have a W-8BEN from a Canadian citizen serving on the Board of Directors for our company; it has both a U.S. Tax ID number and Canadian SIN number...


Q. (cont.) He has received cash payments and equity value payments. Can you please advise which tax form(s) should be filed?

A. What are the cash payments and equity value payments for? Serving on the board?  Report on form 1042-S; he is Canadian. Use 1099s only for reporting payments to U.S. citizens.

Have more questions? Submit a request