Should payments to a storage facility be reported as rent on the 1099, or as miscellaneous income?


Generally, yes, report rent in box 1 of the 1099-MISC, though there are a few qualifiers:

  • Is the owner (payee) of the storage facility a corporation (C- or S-corp)? If so, then you do not need to issue them a 1099-MISC. Corporations are exempt from reporting.
  •  Did you pay less than $600 for the year? If not, do not issue a 1099.
  • Is the rent paid to a real estate agent (rather than the property owner)? Probably not in this case, but in such a case, you would not issue a 1099-MISC.

The IRS defines rent as “any amount you pay for the use of property you do not own,” so if your payments exceeded $600 for the reporting year, and the recipient is neither a corporation, nor did you issue the payments to a real estate agent, then you would need to issue a 1099-MISC form, reporting the rent in box 1.

Have more questions? Submit a request