We acquired a company mid-year and will begin making all vendor payments. The TIN is not changing. Do we submit a single 1099 for the whole year, or one in their name up to the acquisition and a separate one for after?


If the acquisition was of the whole company (or an entire subsidiary), i.e., the acquired company (or unit) no longer continues as a separate entity but is fully a part of your company now, and if there is agreement on handling information reporting, then you may issue just one 1099 for the entire year, rather than two sets of 1099s. (This also can apply to W-2s.)

See the IRS General Instructions for Certain Information Returns, page 2 “Successor/predecessor reporting.”

Have more questions? Submit a request