An employee who left the organization did not receive his final check within hours of termination, which is the law in our state; a payment was issued for the wages plus interest. Do I need to send him a 1099-INT for the interest?


The final salary payment should be reported on the former employee’s W-2, and the interest paid due to late payment of salary per your state's law would be reported on form 1099-INT, provided that the interest paid is above the reporting threshold of $600 (see instructions for form 1099-INT, page 3 under “Box 1. Interest Income”).  We confirmed this with IRS information reporting specialist Ms. Pasiuk, ID# 1000207844.

Have more questions? Submit a request