We made a payment to an attorney for some property we purchased ...


Q. (con't.) The seller was not the attorney, although the payment was made to the lawyer's office via wire transfer.  Is this 1099-reportable to the attorney?

A. I spoke with IRS reporting specialist Ms. Tennett (#1001307512) on this question. She stated that the 1099-S should be issued to the name of the entity listed on the deed for the property you purchased. If that was not the attorney, then no, you would not report the transaction to them, but rather to the deed transferor.

Have more questions? Submit a request